Devil's Angel Cake
|Sifted cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|No calorie sweetener||1 Teaspoon (Granulated / Liquid)|
|Low calorie fudge frosting||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Sift flour, cocoa and 1/2 cup of sugar onto waxed paper; reserve.
2. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with electric mixer at high speed in large bowl until very foamy and peaks are beginning to form. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms stiff peaks. Beat in the vanilla and your favorite no-calorie sweetener, using equivalent of 5 teaspoons of sugar.
3. Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg whites, a few table- spoons at a time. Turn into a 9-inch angel-cake pan, then carefully cut through batter with a spatula to remove air pockets.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool upside down on quart-size soft-drink bottle about 1 hour, or until cake is completely cool. Loosen cake around edge and tube of pan with a long, sharp-blade knife; invert onto wooden board.
5. Serve as is, or split into three layers; reassemble with Low-Calorie Fudge Frosting between layers and on top of cake. Leave sides unfrosted. Garnish with a twist of orange, if you wish.