Banana Nut Cake
|Cake flour||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mashed ripe bananas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter cream frosting||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease two 9x1 1/2-inch layer-cake pans; dust lightly with flour; tap out any excess.
2. Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon onto waxed paper; reserve. Stir the buttermilk into mashed bananas in a small bowl; reserve.
3. Beat butter or margarine, sugar and eggs in large bowl of mixer at high speed 3 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer.
4. Stir in flour mixture alternately with banana-milk mixture, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Stir in vanilla and 1/4 cup of the chopped nuts; pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or till centers spring back when pressed with finger.
6. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
7. Put layers together with Rum Butter-Cream Frosting; frost sides and top with remaining frosting. Press remaining 1/2 cup chopped nuts on side of cake. Garnish top with banana slices, if you wish.