Georgia Peach Shortcake
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into large bowl; stir in brown sugar. Cut in butter or margarine with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly; stir in the pecans.
2. Beat egg slightly with milk in 1-cup measure; add all at once to flour mixture; stir with a fork until blended.
3. Grease bottoms of two 9-inch layer-cake pans; spread half the dough on each to within 1/2 inch of edge.
4. Bake in very hot oven (450°) 20 minutes, or until golden.
5. While shortcake bakes, peel, slice and sweeten peaches. Whip cream with almond extract until stiff in small bowl.
6. Put hot shortcake layers together on serving plate with peaches and cream between and on top. Cut in wedges