Rainbow Ice Cream Cake
|Chocolate cake mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Strawberry ice cream||1 Quart, softened|
|Pistachio ice cream||1 Quart, softened|
|Whipped topping mix||4 Ounce (2 Envelopes, 2 Ounces Each)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Red food coloring||3 Drop|
|Light rum||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped pistachio nuts||1 Tablespoon|
1. Crease two 9x1 1/2 -inch round layer-cake pans; dust with flour; tap out any excess.
2. Prepare cake mix with eggs and water, pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or till centers spring back when lightly pressed with finger. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen the layers around edges with a knife; turn out onto racks; cool completely. Split each layer, using a sawing motion with a sharp knife.
4. While layers bake, cut two 18-inch lengths of plastic wrap and fit into two 8-inch layer-cake pans.
5. Spread half the strawberry ice cream evenly in each cake pan; top each with half the pistachio ice cream. (Or use your own favorite flavor combinations.) Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap; freeze.
6. Place one split cake layer on cookie sheet. Remove one ice cream layer from pan; peel off the plastic wrap and place on the split layer; cover with another split layer; add second ice-cream layer and top off with third split layer. (The extra layer will make a nice treat for supper topped with coffee ice cream.) Freeze entire cake while making frosting.
7. Beat whipped-topping mix with milk. Tint a pale pink with red food coloring and flavor with rum, if you wish.
8. Frost sides and top of cake with part of frosting; pile remaining frosting onto center of cake and swirl out with teaspoon and sprinkle with pistachio nuts.
9. Freeze until frosting is firm; then cover with plastic wrap.
10. When ready to serve, loosen cake around edge of cookie sheet with a spatula dipped in hot water; transfer to serving plate with spatula and pancake turner. Cut with a sharp knife, or an electric knife
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4849 Calories from Fat 939
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 123 g188.7%
Saturated Fat 70.8 g354%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 580 mg193.3%
Sodium 4197.8 mg174.9%
Total Carbohydrates 864 g287.9%
Dietary Fiber 45.8 g183.2%
Sugars 611.1 g
Protein 75 g149.1%
Vitamin A 12.6% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 36.5% Iron 78.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet