Lemon Coconut Cake
|Lemon cake mix||20 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Nondairy whipped topping||9 Ounce (1 Carton)|
|Chopped maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), drained|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), divided|
|Green food coloring||4 Drop|
1. Line bottoms of 2, 9 x 2-inch round dishes with waxed paper.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions.
3. For each layer: Pour one-half of batter into each dish. Cook on Cook Level 7 for 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with finger. Turn quarter-turn halfway through cooking time. Let stand for 10 minutes. Invert on cooling rack. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining layer.
4. Combine sugar and gelatin in 2-cup glass measure. Gradually stir in 1/4 cup water and orange juice. Blend in egg yolks. Cook on Cook Level 5 for 4 to 6 minutes, or until gelatin is dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened. Stir 2 to 3 times during cooking time.
5. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Cool until mixture begins to gel slightly. Fold whipped topping into lemon mixture. Remove 1 cup and place in small bowl. Set aside. Fold cherries and nuts into 1 cup reserved mixture.
6. Arrange one layer of cake on serving platter. Spread top with cherry and nut mixture. Place second cake layer on top. Frost entire cake with remaining lemon mixture. Sprinkle top and sides of cake with 1 cup coconut.