Diet Light Sponge Cake
|Sifted cake flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|10x confectioners' powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Measure the cake flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy-white and double in volume with electric mixer at high speed in a large bowl; beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms soft peaks.
3. Beat egg yolks with vanilla and lemon extract until fluffy-thick in a meaium-size bowl; beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in boiling water; beat vigorously 3 minutes, or until mixture is creamy-thick and forms soft peaks.
4. Fold egg-yolk mixture into egg-white mixture until no streaks of yellow or white remain. Sift flour mixture, one-quarter at a time, over top; gently fold in. Pour into a 9-inch angel-cake pan.
5. Bake in a slow oven (325°) 55 minutes, or until top springs back when pressed with fingertip.
6. Hang cake in pan upside down on a quart-size soft-drink bottle; cool completely. Loosen around edge and tube with a knife; turn out, then turn right-side up, onto a serving plate. Sprinkle top with the 10X sugar. Slice cake into 12 wedges.