Pound Cake Layers
|Pound cake mix||96 Ounce (6 Packages, 16 Ounce Each)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs) (As Label Directs)|
|Apricot brandy||3 Tablespoon|
|Apricot glaze||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease tiered cake pans; line with waxed paper; grease paper and then dust with flour, tapping out excess. (An extra step, but very helpful to ensure smooth sides on larger cake layers.)
2. Prepare 2 packages pound-cake mix with 4 eggs, liquid called for on label, and 1 tablespoon apricot brandy.
3. Pour batter into middle tier pan to half-fill the pan. If there is additional batter, pour into the largest pan.
4. Repeat Step 2 twice. Pour batter into largest pan to half-fill the pan, then half-fill the smallest pan. (Any extra batter may be baked as cupcakes for a family treat.)
5. Arrange one oven rack in top third of oven and the second rack in the bottom third of the oven. Place largest cake pan on bottom rack in center of oven. Place mid-die-size pan at back left of top rack and smallest pan at front right of top rack. (Be sure pans do not touch each other, door, sides or back of oven.)
6. Bake in slow oven (325°) for 1 hour. Then begin to test layers. The cakes are done when a cake tester or long wooden skewer inserted into the center of each cake layer comes out clean. (Baking times will vary with the width and depth of individual cake pans and also the size and shape of your oven.) All layers should be baked in 1 hour and 30 minutes. If layers on the top rack get too brown but do not test done, cover lightly with foil until baked.
7. Remove layers from oven and cool on wire racks for 20 minutes. Then line wire racks with towels. Loosen each cake around edge with a thin-blade, sharp knife. Turn cake pan on side and shake layer gently to be sure cake has loosened from pan. Turn out onto a towel-lined rack; peel off paper. Cool cake completely. (Towel-lined wire racks make it much easier to handle the larger cakes.)
8. Brush tops and sides of layers with Apricot Glaze.
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.4%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.3 mg26.4%
Sodium 618.4 mg25.8%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 6 g12.6%
Vitamin A 1.8% Vitamin C 0.44%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 1.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet