Fruited Bon Bon Cakes
|Corn flakes/1/2 cup corn flake crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried prunes||1⁄2 Pound (1 1/4 Cups, Whole)|
|Seedless golden raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped candied citron||4 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Chopped candied cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Red Colored)|
|Chopped candied cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Green Colored)|
|Chopped nuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), firmly packed|
|Rum flavoring||1 Tablespoon|
1. If using Corn Flakes, crush into fine crumbs. Set aside.
2. Soak prunes and raisins in hot water to cover; about 20 minutes each.
3. Sift together flour, soda, salt and spices. Stir in Corn Flake Crumbs. Set aside.
4. Drain raisins; drain, pit, and chop prunes. Combine fruits, nuts and sifted dry ingredients.
5. Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and rum flavoring; beat well. Stir in fruit mixture, mixing only until combined. Arrange about 4 dozen 1 1/2-inch bonbon baking cups in round cake pans or small muffin tins. Fill each cup with 1 tablespoonful batter and garnish with a candied cherry half.
6. Bake in very slow oven (250° F.) about 1 1/2 hours or until cakes are delicately browned and begin pulling from sides of cups. Cool, wrap tightly and refrigerate at least 1 week before using. To serve, remove from cups and drizzle with a confectioner’s sugar glaze, if desired.