Yellow Layer Cake With Vanilla Frosting
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs) (Plus 1/4 Cup More For Dusting)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Unsalted butter stick||1 1⁄2 , softened|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Pound, softened|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Pound|
|Heavy cream||6 Tablespoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° Butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper: butter and dust with dour. In a bowl, mix the 3 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. In a cup, mix the milk with the vanilla.
2. In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter at medium speed until light and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat until fluffy, 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl. Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the milk mixture and scraping down the bowl.
3. Scrape the batter into the pans. Bake in the lower third of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the tops of the layers feel springy to the touch. Let cool for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto a rack. Peel off the parchment paper, turn the cakes upright and let them cool completely.
4. Make the frosting: In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the butter and egg yolk at medium-high speed until creamy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar at low speed. Beat in the cream, vanilla and salt, then beat at medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 minutes longer.
5. Spread 1 cup of frosting over a cake layer and top with the second layer, then frost the top and side. Let the cake stand for 1 hour before serving.