|Butter/Margarine||6 Ounce (175 G)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 G)|
|Vanilla flavor||2 Drop|
|Eggs||3 Medium, beaten (Size 2)|
|Self raising flour||6 Ounce (175 G)|
|Milk||60 Milliliter (2-4 Tbsp)|
|Cocoa powder||30 Milliliter (2 Leveled Tbsp)|
|Apricot jam||120 Milliliter (8 Leveled Tbsp)|
|Marzipan||8 Ounce (225 G)|
|Caster sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Dredge)|
1. Grease a shallow ovenproof glass dish about 18 X 23 cm (7 X 9 inches). Line the base with greaseproof paper. Divide the dish in half lengthways with a wall of greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until they become pale and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla flavouring. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating them well between each addition. Carefully fold in the flour. Add 30 ml (2 tbsp) milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
3. Spoon half of the mixture into one side of the prepared dish and smooth the top.
4. Add the cocoa powder, and a little more milk, if necessary, to the remaining mixture. Spoon this into the other side of the prepared dish and smooth the top.
5. Shield each end of the dish with a small piece of smooth foil, shiny side in. Cover with cling film and microwave on HIGH for 7-8 minutes, giving the dish a quarter turn three times during the cooking time.
6. Remove the foil and cling film, allow the sponges to cool in the dish for 4-5 minutes, then carefully turn them out on to a rack to cool.
7. Neatly trim the two sponges to an equal size. Cut each sponge in half lengthways.
8. Put the apricot jam into a small ovenproof glass bowl and microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until hot.
9. Spread one side of one piece of the vanilla sponge with apricot jam and then place one piece of the chocolate sponge next to it and press the two firmly together.
10. Spread more jam on top of the two halves and place the remaining two sponges on top, alternating the colours.
11. Roll out the marzipan to an oblong long enough to go around the sponge cakes.
12. Brush the marzipan with apricot jam and place the sponge cakes in the centre. Bring the marzipan up over the sides to enclose the sponges. Turn the cake over so that the join is underneath.
13. Press the marzipan firmly around the sponges to seal. Trim each end neatly. Use a small knife to decorate the top of the cake with a criss-cross pattern. Pinch the top side edges between thumb and forefinger to give a fluted edge. Dredge the cake with caster sugar and place it on a serving dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4937 Calories from Fat 1596
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 182 g279.5%
Saturated Fat 95.3 g476.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 930.1 mg310%
Sodium 2394.2 mg99.8%
Total Carbohydrates 787 g262.2%
Dietary Fiber 14.6 g58.2%
Sugars 609.4 g
Protein 60 g119.7%
Vitamin A 99.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 136.3% Iron 80.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet