Strawberry Shortcake With Yogurt Biscuits
|Fresh strawberries||1 Pint, hulled and sliced|
|Brown sugar||4 Teaspoon|
|Low fat sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon zest||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached all-purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whipped margarine||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, well chilled|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Toss the berries with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.
2. In a small bowl mix together the sour cream, lemon zest and remaining brown sugar.
3. Preheat the oven to 450°.
4. In a large bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the yogurt and 1/4 cup of cold water and stir briefly, then form the dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times, then roll it out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
5. Using a 3 1/2-inch scalloped cutter, cut out 4 biscuits. Place on a baking sheet and bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden. Split the biscuits and place the bottom halves on 4 dessert plates. Top each with one-fourth of the strawberries and 1 tablespoon of cream; cover with the biscuit tops. Dust the shortcakes with confectioners' sugar.