Strawberry Shortcakes With Meyer Lemon Cream
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1/2 Cup Extra For Dusting)|
|Cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cold unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, cubed (Plus 1 1/2 Tablespoons Melted Butter)|
|Melted butter||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Turbinado sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For lemon cream|
|Lemon||1 , zest grated finely|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Preferably From Meyer Lemons)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Strawberries||2 Pint, hulled and quartered|
1. Make the biscuits; Preheat the oven to 375° In a bowl, whisk the flours, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the cold butter until it is the size of peas. Stir in the cream until a shaggy dough forms.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until it comes together. Roll into a 7-inch round about 3/4 inch thick. Using a 2 3/4-inch or 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut 5 biscuits. Gently gather the scraps and reroll them; cut out 1 more round for a total of 6 biscuits.
3. Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet and brush with the melted butter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are golden. Let cool.
4. Meanwhile, make the lemon cream; Set a strainer over a bowl. In a saucepan, combine half the lemon zest with the lemon juice, sugar, egg. egg yolk, salt and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Immediately strain into the bowl. Whisk in the remaining lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of butter. Press plastic wrap directly onto the curd and chill for about 15 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, softly whip the cream. Fold the lemon curd into the whipped cream and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
6. Prepare the strawberries: In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.
7. Split the biscuits in half and arrange the bottom halves on plates. Mound the lemon cream on the biscuits, top with the strawberries and their juices, replace the tops and serve.