Orange Rum Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), salted, not whipped|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||2 Large|
|Grated lemon rind||1|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts/Finely chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2 Large|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnut halves/Pecan halves||20|
To make cake:
1. With a little butter grease a 9" or 10" tube pan.If usin'g a fluted or other fancy pan be sure it holds at least 2 qts. when measured to the brim with water).
2.Turn on oven, set at 350 degrees F.If oven has no control, use a portable oven thermometer and keep correct temperature by controlling heat.
3. With an electric mixer or a large spoon beat 1 cup butter (or margarine) in a large bowl until fluffy.
4.Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating after each addition until fluffy.
5.Add grated rind and juice of oranges and lemon.
6.Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until very light.
7.Sift, then lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Level top with spatula; put 2 1/2 cups flour into sifter. If instant type is used, do not sift, but mix with other ingredients. Do NOT use cake flour or self rising flour.
8. Add 2 tsp. double-acting baking powder, 1 tsp. soda, 1/2 tsp.salt ;' sift into bowl.
9. To butter mixture add flour mixture alternately with 1 c. buttermilk in small amounts, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in 1 c.
finely chopped nuts.
10. Pour batter into pan, bake about one hour. Cake is done when it shrinks from sides of pan and surface springs back when pressed lightly with finger.
11.Meanwhile strain juice of 2 large oranges and 1 lemon, add 1 c. granulated sugar and 2 tbs rum.
12. When cake is done, remove from oven, bring mixture in saucepan to boil. Pour slowly over cake in pan. If cake does not absorb all mixture, reserve and spoon on later. Remove from pan, sprinkle cake lightly with granulated sugar. Mix 1/2 C. confectioner's sugar with enough water or milk to make of spreading consistency. Spread on nut halves on wax paper, let stand until hard. Then press on sides of cake.