Cherry Almond Upside Down Cake
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Divided)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark sweet cherries||2 Pound, pitted|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole blanched almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), toasted|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Cup)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and red wine in a large saucepan over low heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a boil. Stir in cherries. Reduce heat to low, cook 5 minutes or until cherries just begin to soften, stirring frequently. Remove cherries from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid in pan. Place cherries in a bowl, stir in lemon juice. Arrange cherries in an even layer in bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Cook wine mixture over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat, drizzle over cherries in prepared pan.
4. Place almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor, and process until finely ground (do not process to a paste).
5. Place eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy,- slowly add remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat until thick and lemon-colored (about 2 minutes).
6. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup,-level with a knife. Combine flour and salt. Gradually sift flour mixture over egg mixture, fold in. Fold in ground almond mixture. Carefully spoon batter over cherries in prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Place a plate upside down on top of cake, invert onto plate.