Chocolate Coated Party Cakes
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (sweetened)|
|Chocolate glaze||2 Tablespoon|
1. Beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, and lemon peel until very thick and lemon colored. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy; add 1/3 cup sugar gradually, continuing to beat until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten whites until blended. Sprinkle about one fourth of the flour at a time over the egg mixture; fold together gently until just blended after each addition.
4. Turn batter into 12 greased (bottoms only) 2 1/4x 1 1/4-inch muffin pan wells, filling each about two thirds full.
5. Bake at 325°F 18 minutes, or until delicately browned.
6. Cool slightly; run a spatula gently around sides of cakes; lift out and set on wire racks to cool.
7. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each cake and carefully hollow out the cake. Fill with sweetened whipped cream and replace cake slice. Spoon Chocolate Glaze over tops of cakes and allow glaze to set slightly before serving.