Pound Cake Tiers
|Pound cake mix||108 Ounce (6 Packages)|
|Liquid||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Label Directs)|
|Apricot brandy||3 Tablespoon|
|Apricot glaze||6 Tablespoon|
|Wedding cake frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Decorator's frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease and line tiered cake pans with wax paper; grease paper and then dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Prepare 2 packages pound cake mix with 4 eggs, liquid called for on label, and 1 tablespoon apricot brandy, following label directions.
3. Pour batter into 10-inch pan to fill half the pan. If there is additional batter, pour into largest pan.
4. Repeat twice. Pour batter into 12-inch pan to fill half the pan, then fill half the 8-inch pan. Bake remaining batter in one or more greased 10-ounce custard cups.
5. Arrange one oven rack in top third of oven and the second rack in the bottom third of the oven. Place 12-inch pain on bottom rack in center of oven. Place 10-inch pan at back left of top rack and 8-inch pan at front right of top rack. (Be sure pans do not touch each other, door, sides, or back of oven.)
6. Bake in slow oven (325°) 1 hour. Then begin to test layers. The cakes are done when a cake tester or long wooden skewer inserted into the center of each cake layer comes out clean. (Baking times will vary with the width and depth of individual cake pans and also the size and shape of your oven.) All lay6rs should be baked by 1 hour, 30 minutes. If the layers on the top rack are getting too brown but do not test done, cover layers lightly with a piece of aluminum foil for the last part of baking. Bake custard-size cakes 30 minutes, or until they test done.
7. Remove layers from oven and cool on wire racks for 20 minutes. Then line wire racks with towels. Loosen each cake around edge with a sharp knife. Turn cake pan on side and shake layer gently to be sure cake has loosened from pan. Turn out layer onto towel-lined wire rack and peel off wax paper. Cool cake completely. (Towel-lined wire racks make it much easier to handle the larger cakes.) 8. Brush tops and sides of layers with APRICOT GLAZE.