This easy butter cake has the pretty crown of pink rhubarb on top, which is making its annual appearance in the garden again. Why not try this interesting and quick cake recipe soon, while fresh rhubarb is cheap and in season...it's really tasty! (and if you don't want to make it, there's always pie! Just make sure you bake enough to share!)
3 Cup (48 tbs), frozen or fresh
1 Tablespoon (for greasing the cake pan)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
All purpose flour
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
2 1⁄2 Teaspoon
2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease the 9 inch cake pan with butter and set it aside.
3. In a bowl, add and combine the rhubarb with strawberry jam. Mix until well combined.
4. Take the greased cake pan and add sugar. Spread this evenly around the bottom of the cake pan and add the rhubarb mixture over it.
5. For the batter: In a bowl, add and combine the flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and set it aside.
6. In a large bowl, cream the butter using an electric mixer. Add sugar and cream it well with the butter until nice and creamy.
7. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla extract and beat well.
8. Gradually add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture with 1/2 cup of milk, beat well. Add another 1/3 cup of flour with the rest of the milk and beat again. Add the remaining cup of flour and beat until well combined and thick.
9. Take the cake pan with the rhubarb mixture and evenly add the above batter over it. Bake it in the preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Once done, remove the cake pan and cool it on rack for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes run a knife around the cake and turn it over a serving plate.
11. Serve these cake slices with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.