Fresh Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
|Rhubarb||3 Cup (48 tbs), frozen or fresh|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (for greasing the cake pan)|
|Strawberry jam||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease the 9 inch cake pan with butter and set it aside.
3. In a bowl, add and combine the rhubarb with strawberry jam. Mix until well combined.
4. Take the greased cake pan and add sugar. Spread this evenly around the bottom of the cake pan and add the rhubarb mixture over it.
5. For the batter: In a bowl, add and combine the flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and set it aside.
6. In a large bowl, cream the butter using an electric mixer. Add sugar and cream it well with the butter until nice and creamy.
7. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla extract and beat well.
8. Gradually add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture with 1/2 cup of milk, beat well. Add another 1/3 cup of flour with the rest of the milk and beat again. Add the remaining cup of flour and beat until well combined and thick.
9. Take the cake pan with the rhubarb mixture and evenly add the above batter over it. Bake it in the preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Once done, remove the cake pan and cool it on rack for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes run a knife around the cake and turn it over a serving plate.
11. Serve these cake slices with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Calories 246 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.5%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g34.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 62.8 mg20.9%
Sodium 180.1 mg7.5%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 20.4 g
Protein 3 g6.5%
Vitamin A 7.8% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet