Angel Food Cake
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Sift the flour and 3/4 cup sugar together four times; set aside.
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt, and extracts until stiff, not dry, peaks are formed. Lightly fold in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time.
3. Gently folding until blended after each addition, sift about 4 tablespoons of the flour mixture at a time over meringue. Carefully slide batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, turning pan as batter is poured. Cut through batter with knife or spatula to break large air bubbles.
4. Bake at 350°F about 45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
5. Immediately invert pan and cool cake completely. Cut around cake with a pointed knife, loosen gently with a spatula, and remove cake from pan.