My DH just loves this Fresh Orange cake and it's pretty easy to make so I don't mind baking him one now and then. Since the recipe calls for 2 whole oranges (yes, rind and all!) it is made in a food processor. Obviously, you need to use seedless oranges of the sweetest variety. Depending on the amount of pith (the white stuff under the peel) the cake can take on an almost bitter taste, especially for people who are sensitive to bitterness, but we really enjoy the vibrant orange flavour and the sweet orange icing complements it so nicely - we even had an orange-flavoured wedding cake!
2 Medium, quartered
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
For the orange icing
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Teaspoon, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, add the oranges and blend into a fine mixture.
3. Add in the butter, sugar and eggs. Blend this mixture for about 2 minutes or until well combined.
4. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse the mixture until well combined.
5. Take a greased 9 inch baking pan and pour the above batter evenly into it. Bake this in the preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes.
6. For the icing: In a bowl, add and combine the butter, salt, sugar, vanilla extract and orange juice. Blend until smooth and creamy.
7. Add orange rind and combine well.
8. Remove the cake and apply the icing over the cake once cooled.