|Cake mix||18 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package Devil's Food Cake Mix)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (for greasing)|
|Egg whites||3 (At Room Temperature)|
|Light corn syrup||18 Tablespoon (1 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoon)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Grease two 6-inch square non-metallic cake pans and set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions,
3 Pour 1/2 of batter into each prepared pan.
4 Heat each layer, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 7 (9) minutes, turning 1/2 turn each 2 (2 1/2) minutes.
5. Allow cake to cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
6. While cakes are cooling prepare frosting.
7 In a small mixer bowl beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
8. Pour corn syrup into a 2-cup heat-resistant non-metallic measuring cup.
9. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 3 to 4 (4 to 5) minutes or until corn syrup comes to a boil.
10 Gradually pour boiling mixture over egg whites, beating constantly until frosting is cool and very stiff. Beat in vanilla.
11. Pour rum over the tops of both cake layers.
12. Spread apricot preserves over one of the cooled layers. Then spread some of the frosting on it.
13. Place second layer on top of first and spread entire cake with frosting.