Fresh Coconut Banana Cake
|Lemon curd filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mashed ripe bananas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare Lemon-Curd Filling.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Into large bowl, measure flour and next 9 ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
3. Pour batter into pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
4. While cake is cooling, prepare and shred enough coconut to make 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut . Wrap shredded coconut in plastic wrap and refrigerate (refrigerate remaining coconut).
5. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
6. On plate, place 1 cake layer, rounded side down; evenly spread with filling; top with second layer, rounded side up, lightly pressing cake onto filling. Frost side and top of cake with whipped cream; pat shredded coconut into cream. Refrigerate cake.