Light Christmas Cake
|White sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Crushed pineapple||19 Ounce, undrained (1 Tin)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fine coconut||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pastry flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Fruit)|
|White raisins||2 Pound|
|Candied pineapple||1⁄2 Pound, chopped (Red And Green)|
|Cherries||1 Pound, halved (Red And Green Colored)|
|Halved blanched almonds||3⁄4 Pound|
1. Prepare 3 Christmas tins or 4 loaf tins. Grease, then line bottom and sides with heavy brown paper. Grease.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the 1/2 c. flour with the raisins, candied pineapple, cherries and almonds, and coat well. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Add salt, nutmeg, vanilla, crushed pineapple, warm water and coconut.
6. Combine flour and baking powder, and stir into the above ingredients.
7. Stir in the floured fruit and nuts.
8. Fill tins 3/4 full, and decorate the tops with cherries and almonds.
9. Place a pan of water in oven on bottom rack.10. Place cake tins in centre of oven set at 275° and bake for 4 hours.
11. Test before removing from oven.
12. Allow to cool. Remove from tins and remove paper.
13. Wrap in an old linen tea towel and then in tin foil.
14. Store in fruit cellar.