Spirited Marble Cake
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 Small, separated|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned chocolate syrup||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Coffee liqueur||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease a 10-inch angel cake tube pan; dust lightly with flour; tap out any excess.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
3. Beat butter or margarine until soft in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed. Beat in sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time; stir in vanilla. Beat the egg whites until stiff; then fold into batter.
4. Stir in flour mixture, alternately with milk, just until blended.
5. Pour half the batter into a second bowl; stir chocolate syrup and coffee liqueur into one half. Spoon both batters into prepared pan, alternating layers of white and dark. Draw a knife or spatula through batter several times to marbleize.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 1 hour, or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack; loosen around edge with a knife; turn out onto wire rack; cool completly.
7. Frost top and side with MOCHA butter cream.