Jolly Jelly Cake
|Strawberry gelatin||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preplare gelatin, following label directions, using 3 1/2 cups water; pour into 8x8x2-inch square pan; chill at least 4 hours, or overnight.
2. Measure flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
3. Beat, shortening with sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at high; speed; beat in egg and vanilla.
4. Sift in dry ingredients, alternately with milk, blending well after each addition; pour into a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 45 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip; cool on wire rack 15 minutes; loosen around edges and turn out; cool.
6. Split cake, crosswise, into 2 layers; place bottom layer on cake plate; unmold gelatin on small cookie sheet rinsed with cold water, slide onto cake layer; top with second layer; sprinkle with 10 X sugar. Decorate as you wish.