Lemon Sponge Cake
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Hot water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fruit cocktail||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cardamom||1 Dash|
1. Beat eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at high, until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar. Lower speed; blend in vanilla, hot water and 1 teaspoon of the lemon rind.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper; fold into egg mixture.
3. Turn batter into buttered 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool on wire rack.
5. Drain juice from fruit cocktail into a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and lemon juice; stir into fruit juice. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, cardamom and fruit.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1453 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.4%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 634.4 mg211.5%
Sodium 1806.7 mg75.3%
Total Carbohydrates 291 g96.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.7%
Sugars 155.1 g
Protein 35 g70.5%
Vitamin A 25.6% Vitamin C 32.3%
Calcium 67.2% Iron 61.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet