Butterscotch Apple Cake
|Baking apples||2 Large|
|Cinnamon candies||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Red Hot)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Yellow cake mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Whipped cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Core apples, but do not pare; cut each into 4 thick rings.
2. Combihe cinnamon candies and 1/2 cup water in a large skillet. Heat, stirring constantly, until candies melt; add apple rings. Simmer, turning once, 3 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
3. Melt butter or margarine in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan; stir in brown sugar. Place apple rings in two rows over sugar mixture; top each with a maraschino cherry; sprinkle pecans between apples.
4. Prepare cake mix with eggs and water, following label directions; pour evenly over apples in pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 45 minutes, or until golden and top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen around edges with a knife; invert onto a large serving plate. Let stand 5 minutes; carefully lift off pan,