Ticktacktoe Jewel Cake
|Fruit cocktail||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Strawberry flavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|9 inch sponge cake||1 (1 Layer)|
|Frozen whipped topping||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Container)|
1. Drain syrup from fruit cocktail into a 1-cup measure.
2. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water in a medium-size bowl; stir in 1/2 cup of the fruit syrup.
3. Chill gelatin mixture 30 minutes, or until thick as unbeaten egg white; fold in fruit cocktail. Spoon into an 8-inch layer cake pan. Chill several hours, or until firm.
4. Place a piece of plastic wrap or aluminum foil over a large flat plate. Loosen gelatin layer around edge with a knife; dip pan very quickly in and out of hot water; turn out onto wrapped plate. Split cake layer; spread each half with 1/4 cup of the whipped topping; place half, topping-side down, over gelatin layer. Cover with a serving plate; turn upside down; lift off plate and peel off wrap. Place remaining cake layer, spread-side down, over gelatin.
5. Frost side and top of cake with remaining whipped topping. Chill until serving time.