|Whole wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Carob powder/Unsweetened cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chunky unsweetened homemade applesauce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 Large, lightly beaten|
|Snipped pitted dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind/Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix the whole wheat flour, white flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2 tablespoons carob powder, and the spices.
3. Mix the applesauce, oil, egg, dates, and orange peel. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Oil well a 9-inch square pan and dust lightly with carob powder. Turn batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.