Yankee Party Cake
|Angel food cake mix||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Ground mace||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking apples||2 Medium, pared, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced|
|Whole berry cranberry sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||6 Drop|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare cake mix with mace, following label directions. Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch angel cake tube pan.
2. Bake in slow oven (325°)' 50 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
3. Invert pan, placing tube over a quart-size bottle; let cake cool completely. Loosen cake around edge and tube with a spatula. Cover pan with a serving plate; turn upside down; gently lift off pan. Cut cake into 4 layers.
4. Combine apples, cranberry sauce, sugar and orange rind in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover. Simmer about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender.
5. Soften gelatin in water in a cup; stir into hot apple mixture. Add food coloring to tint pink. Pour into a medium-size metal bowl.
6. Set bo!wl in a larger bowl partly filled with ice and water to speed setting. Chill, stirring often, until as thick as unbeaten egg white.
7. Beat cream until stiff in a medium-size bowl with electric mixer at high speed; fold 1 1/3 cups into mixture.
8. Spread a third of the filling between each layer. Frost top of cake with remaining whipped cream. Chill until ready to serve. Decorate with mint leaves, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2986 Calories from Fat 797
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 91 g139.7%
Saturated Fat 55.8 g279.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 328.8 mg109.6%
Sodium 3867.3 mg161.1%
Total Carbohydrates 493 g164.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 360.9 g
Protein 52 g103.2%
Vitamin A 74% Vitamin C 34.9%
Calcium 63.5% Iron 6.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet