|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||3 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Carob powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Non fat dry milk powder||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Carob powder||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. To prepare the cake, beat the egg yolks until very light and thick. Gradually beat in the honey. Add the vanilla and lemon rind.
3. Sift the baking powder with 1/2 cup of the flour. Combine remaining flour with the carob powder.
4. Fold the carob mixture alternately with the water into the egg yolk mixture. Stir in the baking powder mixture.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter. Pour the mixture into a buttered 9-inch tube pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until done. Invert the pan and cool cake in pan.
6. To prepare the frosting, cream together the butter and dry milk. Stir in the carob powder. Beat in remaining ingredients and use to frost cooled cake.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2530 Calories from Fat 602
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g104.3%
Saturated Fat 35.4 g177.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1029.3 mg343.1%
Sodium 2295 mg95.6%
Total Carbohydrates 393 g131%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.7%
Sugars 295.6 g
Protein 91 g181.3%
Vitamin A 52.2% Vitamin C 25.4%
Calcium 316.6% Iron 50.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet