Long Island Chocolate Cake
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||4 , melted|
|Potato||1 Large, peeled and finely shredded|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rich fudge frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto wax paper.
2. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed; beat in eggs, one at a time, beat in chocolate; fold in shredded potato and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients and milk, alternately. Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with narrow spatula; turn out onto racks; cool completely.
5. Put layers together with rich fudge frosting; frost side and top, making deep swirls with spatula.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5373 Calories from Fat 2382
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 269 g413.5%
Saturated Fat 95.1 g475.6%
Trans Fat 20.2 g
Cholesterol 857.2 mg285.7%
Sodium 4122.2 mg171.8%
Total Carbohydrates 701 g233.7%
Dietary Fiber 34.3 g137.2%
Sugars 364.3 g
Protein 82 g164.2%
Vitamin A 21.9% Vitamin C 98.2%
Calcium 117.7% Iron 247.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet