Chocolate Cherry Cake
|Devil's food cake mix||18 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned pitted dark sweet cherries in light syrup kirsch||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||4 Ounce (Four 1 Ounce Squares)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Maraschino cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10" by 3" springform pan. Prepare cake mix as label directs; pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; carefully remove side of pan; cool cake completely on rack.
2. Meanwhile, drain cherries and reserve 2 tablespoons syrup; cut each cherry in half. In medium-sized bowl, stir reserved syrup, cherries, and 3 tablespoons kirsch; set aside.
3. From chocolate squares, with vegetable peeler, shave some chocolate curls and reserve for garnish. Coarsely grate remaining chocolate to decorate side of cake.
4. When cake is cool, with serrated knife, carefully cut cake horizontally into 2 layers. Place 1 cake layer on plate. With fork, prick top of cake layers; spoon all liquid from cherry mixture in bowl over layers.
5. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream, sugar, and 1 tablespoon kirsch until soft peaks form. Spread cake layer on plate with 1 1/2 cups whipped cream. Spoon cherries onto cream; top with remaining cake layer. Frost side and top of cake with about 2 cups whipped cream. With hand,
gently press grated chocolate onto side of cake.
Spoon remaining whipped cream into decorat-. ing bag with rosette tube; pipe border around top of cake. Top cake with Maraschino cherries and chocolate curls. Keep cake refrigerated.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5031 Calories from Fat 2323
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 264 g406.6%
Saturated Fat 146.3 g731.7%
Trans Fat 10.3 g
Cholesterol 657.6 mg219.2%
Sodium 4839.4 mg201.6%
Total Carbohydrates 657 g219.1%
Dietary Fiber 32 g128.2%
Sugars 443.3 g
Protein 49 g98.1%
Vitamin A 163.9% Vitamin C 32%
Calcium 47.2% Iron 89.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet