Poppy Seed Cake
|Poppy seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon butter cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Grease two 9x9x2-inch cake pans; dust with flour; tap out excess.
2. Combine poppy seeds and 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat; cover saucepan. Allow to stand until milk is absorbed, about 1 hour.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy-white and double in volume in the small bowl of electric mixer at high speed; beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms soft peaks.
5. Beat butter or margarine and remaining 1 cup sugar in large bowl of mixer at high speed for 3 minutes; blend in poppy seed mixture.
6. Stir in flour mixture, alternately with the remaining 3/4 cup milk and vanilla, beating after each addition until batter is smooth.
7. Fold meringue into batter until no streaks of white remain; pour into prepared pans.
8. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
9. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool.
10. Put layers together with LEMON butter cream; frost side and top with remaining frosting.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5358 Calories from Fat 1950
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 223 g343.2%
Saturated Fat 99.4 g496.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 396.8 mg132.3%
Sodium 3505.5 mg146.1%
Total Carbohydrates 741 g246.9%
Dietary Fiber 73.9 g295.7%
Sugars 340.5 g
Protein 116 g231.7%
Vitamin A 91.3% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 387.4% Iron 87.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet