Bridal Shower Cake
|White cake mix||55 1⁄2 Ounce (Three Packages, 18.25 Ounce Each)|
|Grated lemon peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ornamental frosting||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rose||4 (For Garnishing)|
1. Bake cake layers: Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Prepare 1 package of cake mix as label directs, but into batter stir 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans; cool completely on racks. Repeat with remaining white-cake mixes to make 6 cake layers in all.
2. Using 6-inch round plate as guide, with sharp knife, trim each of three cake layers to 6-inch round layers (reserve cake trimmings to serve with ice cream another day).
3. Prepare lemon filling: In heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, flour, and salt. With wire whisk, beat in water, lemon juice, eggs, and remaining 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel until blended. Over medium-low heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 to 12 minutes (do not boil). Remove saucepan from heat; cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Ornamental Frosting 3 times together in 1 bowl. Keep bowl covered with plastic wrap to prevent frosting from drying out.
5. Assemble cake: Place one 9-inch cake layer, rounded side down, on cake plate. With metal spatula, spread cake layer evenly with 1 cup filling. Place second 9-inch layer on top of first; spread top with 1 cup filling. Place third 9-inch layer on top of second; spread top with thin layer of frosting.
6. Place one 6-inch cake layer in center on top of 9-inch layers; spread with half of remaining filling. Top with second 6-inch layer; spread with remaining filling. Place third 6-inch layer on top of second. Refrigerate cake until filling is set, about 30 minutes.
7. If you like, prepare favors: Wrap each favor in small piece of plastic wrap. When filling is set, with knife, make two small cuts in cake; insert favors.
8. Frost and decorate cake: With metal spatula, frost side and top of cake smoothly with some of frosting. Spoon remaining frosting into decorating bag with small rosette tube; use to pipe garlands and rosettes around side of cake. Refrigerate cake at least 1 hour to let frosting harden. If you like, garnish cake with roses.
Calories 465 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.8%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.8 mg11.3%
Sodium 543.7 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.21 g0.86%
Sugars 62.2 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 6.3%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 1.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet