Apricot Kuchen Cake
|Canned apricot halves in juice||2 Pound, undrained (Two 1 Pound Cans)|
|Unbleached flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fat free egg substitute||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely ground almonds||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. To make the topping, combine the almonds and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Drain the juice from the apricots, reserving 1/4 cup of the juice to use in the cake batter. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, and baking powder, and stir to mix well. Add the reserved apricot juice and the yogurt, egg substitute, and extracts, and stir just until well mixed.
4. Coat a 10-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the batter evenly in the pan. Place 1 apricot half, cut side down, over the center of the batter. Then arrange the remaining apricot halves, barely touching, in concentric circles around the center. (The apricots will partially sink into the batter during baking.) Sprinkle the topping over the batter and fruit.
5. Bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting into wedges.