Coconut Veloute Cake
|Shortening||180 Milliliter (3/4 Cup)|
|Sugar||375 Milliliter (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Pastry flour||750 Milliliter (3 Cups)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Icing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||80 Milliliter (1/3 Cup)|
|Sugar||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Egg whites||2 , beaten|
|Vanilla extract||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
– Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
– Butter two, 9-inch (22-cm) square cake pans.
– Cream shortening, add sugar, a little at a time, add eggs, one at a time.
– In a bowl sift dry ingredients and add them to first mixture, alternating with milk. Add almond and vanilla extracts.
– Pour batter into cake pans and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand on wire rack to cool.
– In a saucepan, boil water, sugar, and vinegar until candy thermometer registers 250 °F (120 °C). Set aside to cool.
– Pour syrup into egg whites, beating constantly until icing becomes firm. Add vanilla extract.
– Ice the cake and decorate with grated coconut and fruit.