|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (10 To 12, At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (325° F.).
2. Sift the flour four times with one-half cup of the sugar.
3. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft moist peaks form when the beater is withdrawn.
4. Add the remaining sugar, about two tablespoons at a time, beating it in after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract.
5. Sift about one-quarter cup of the flour-sugar mixture at a time over the meringue and cut and fold it in just until no flour shows.
6. Turn into an ungreased ten-inch tube pan and bake about one hour. Invert pan and let cake cool in pan.