Lemon Flavored Sponge Cake
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon (packed for measuring)|
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.). Lightly grease and flour the bottom, not the sides, of a ten-inch tube pan.
2. Break the eggs into the large bowl of an electric mixer, add the lemon juice and grated rind and beat the mixture at highest speed until soft peaks can be formed, or twelve to sixteen minutes.
3. While the eggs are being beaten, sift together the flour and salt onto a piece of waxed paper.
4. Continue beating the eggs at highest speed (after soft peaks can be formed) and pour the sugar in a fine stream over them, taking two and one-half to three minutes to add all the sugar.
5. Change to lowest speed and sift the flour and salt over the surface of the mixture as the bowl turns, taking two and one-half to three minutes to add all the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat at lowest speed one-half minute.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake fifty minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Invert the cake pan and set it on a rack to cool. Prop it up if necessary so that the air can circulate between the cake and the tabletop. Let the cake cool at room temperature before removing it from the pan.