Cracking Corn Cakes
|Salt pork||2 Ounce, chopped|
|White cornmeal||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Preferably Stone Ground)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cook the salt pork slowly, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
2. Sift together the cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt.
3. Mix the eggs, buttermilk and two tablespoons fat from the pork. Drain off remaining fat and reserve.
4. Add the liquid ingredients to the cornmeal. Add the salt pork cracklings and stir until the cornmeal is dampened. The batter should be stiff enough almost to hold its shape when dropped from a spoon.
5. In a skillet heat the reserved fat, discarding the sediment or, if desired, use another shortening. Drop the cornmeal mixture from a spoon into the fat to form cakes and brown slowly on both sides.