How To Make Blueberry & Almond Traybake
|For the base layer|
|Unsalted butter||100 Gram|
|Plain flour||200 Gram|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Egg||1 Medium, lightly beaten|
|For the sponge layer|
|Unsalted butter||150 Gram, softened|
|Caster sugar||150 Gram|
|Self raising flour||150 Gram|
|Ground almonds||50 Gram|
|Almond extract||3 Drop|
|Flaked almonds||2 Tablespoon (for topping)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (for dusting)|
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4 and place a solid baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
FOR THE BASE LAYER
2. In a food processor, add plain flour, butter, caster sugar whizz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in the egg and just mix it until the mixture starts to look like coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Tip the mixture in to the base of a square baking tin, and press it down firmly to give an even layer. Chill it for 10-15 minutes until it is firm.
FOR THE SPONGE LAYER
4. In a bowl, place the butter and whisk until soft. Add the caster sugar and cream them together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Add in the ground almonds and almond extract. Gradually whisk in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each egg. Beat in the rest of the flour.
6. Spoon the mixture over the base layer, and spread level. Scatter the blueberries over and press them into the sponge mixture and then top with flaked almonds.
7. Place the tin on the hot baking sheet in the centre of the oven, and bake at 180 degree C for 40-45 minutes or until light-golden.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
9. Cut the cake into 15 squares and dust with icing sugar.
10. Serve the Blueberry and Almond cake as it is.