Learn step by step how to make a fluffy and delicious citrus cake with 5 different fruits. Learn how to dye the batter using fruit juices and how to decorate using only fruits in season.
|For the cake|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lime zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , room temperature|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|For the frosting|
|White chocolate||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (or any other chocolate)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the glaze|
|Confectioner's sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lime||1/2 , juiced|
|Clementine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Kiwi fruit||1 Cup (16 tbs) , small variety of kiwis used|
|Raspberry||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Blackberry||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Strawberry||1 Cup (16 tbs) , small variety used|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease five separate cake tins with butter and set aside.
3. In your stand mixer bowl, combine butter and sugar. Cream them together until well combined.
4. After the butter and sugar are creamed together, add in the eggs one at a time. Once they are incorporated in the mixture gradually add in the flour a little at a time and allow to incorporate in the batter.
5. Add the lime zest to the batter and blend. Add in the baking powder and milk and blend again.
6. Divide the batter evenly in five parts. Add a different food color to each part of the batter and blend well to achieve the desired shade.
7. Place the cake tins in the preheated oven and bake. Baking time will vary from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending upon the size of the cake tins.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by combining white chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl and melting it over a double boiler. Once melted, place it in your refrigerator to cool completely. Whip this with an electric mixer.
9. Remove the cakes from the moulds and place them on a wire rack.
10. On a cake stand, place one cake at a time as per your preference of color. Using a piping bag, apply the frosting on the edges of the cake as shown in the video and arrange the fruit corresponding to the color of the cake (chef has used the orange colored layer first and arranged clememtines. Repeat with all the other layers, you can apply some frosting between the cake layers as well.
11. Prepare the glaze by combining confectioner's sugar and lime juice in a bowl. Add some raspberry juice to impart some color to the glaze. Spread it evenly on the top layer using a palette knife or spoon.
12. Slice and serve.
Calories 886Calories from Fat 398
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.2%
Saturated Fat 26 g130%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 257 mg10.71%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 83 g
Protein 11 g22%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 7088Calories from Fat 3184
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 360 g553.6%
Saturated Fat 208 g1040%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2056 mg85.68%
Total Carbohydrates 912 g304%
Dietary Fiber 32 g128%
Sugars 664 g
Protein 88 g176%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet