1. Cut away any discolored or damaged leaves from the outside of the cabbage.
2. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the large stalk from the middle and shred the cabbage finely.
3. Place into a colander and wash well under cold running water.
4. Peel and finely slice the onion.
5. Remove any rind from the bacon and cut into approx. 1cm pieces.
6. Weigh and measure all ingredients.
7. Put the apples to one side – we will peel them later, as peeled apples tend to discolor when exposed to the air.
8. Cut out a piece of greaseproof paper the size of your ovenproof dish (cartouche).
9. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
10. Heat a large sauté pan over a medium heat and stir-fry bacon pieces for a few moments.
11. Add the butter and when melted add the sliced onions.
12. Sauté for a few more moments, add the shredded red cabbage and mix well.
13. Turn up the heat, add the red wine and allow it to reduce by half.
14. Mix well adding the red wine vinegar and brown sugar and season to taste.
15. Transfer the cabbage mixture from the pan to the ovenproof dish.
16. Cover with greaseproof paper (‘cartouché’), place on a lid and put into the pre-heated oven and cook for about 1 hour.
17. After 1 hour, peel and core the apples and cut into small dice.
18. Remove the cabbage from the oven, add the apples and mix well.
19. Replace the paper and lid and return to the oven for a further 45 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
20. Remove the red cabbage from the oven, take off the lid and throw away the paper.
21. Correct the seasoning and serve the red cabbage in warmed dishes or spoon onto warmed plates.