1⁄2 , pith and pulp removed and peel finely chopped
2 Clove (10 gm), minced
Fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Put a kettle of water on to boil.
2. Place all the onions in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over the onions and cover for 5 minutes. This will speed up the process of removing the skins.
3. While the onions are steaming, roughly chop the cabbage and apple.
4. Peel off the outer skin of the cipollini onions. Place the onions, cabbage and apples in a large 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
5. In a small bowl combine the fat, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the cabbage and stir to coat.
6. Mix the lemon, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme together to create a “paste.” Cut a slit in the skin of the chicken pieces. Use your fingers to create space between the skin and the meat. Put an even layer of paste under the skin of the chicken pieces.
7. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
8. Add the chicken pieces on top and bake for 40 minutes or until the juices run clear. Ours took a little longer because they were barely thawed.