Korean Grandma's Cabbage and Radish Kimchi
|Napa cabbage||4 Medium|
|Korean radish||2 1⁄2 Medium|
|Sea salt||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rice flour/Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Red pepper flakes||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Achovy fish sauce 1 cup and Shrimp fish sauce 1 cup)|
|Green onion||14 Medium|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Garlic||8 Tablespoon, mince|
|Ginger||4 Tablespoon, mince|
|Dropworts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oyster||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Preparation for Cabbage Kimchi:
1. Cut Napa cabbages into halves and put an 3 inch incision at the end.
2. Immerse the halves in the water briefly and take it out.
3. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt all over getting in between leaves.
3. Leave for 4-6 hours. Flip the cabbages after 2-3 hours
4. Tear them in quarters and wash them thoroughly 3-4 times.
5. Drain all the water out by placing them over a strainer upside down.
Preparation for Radish Kimchi:
1. Cut 2 radishes into cubes.
2. Place them in a big bowl and sprinkle with coarse sea salt (about 1/2 cup) and mix it well.
3. Leave them for 2-3 hours. Give it a mix in the middle.
4. Wash thoroughly 3-4 times.
5. Drain in a strainer.
6. Mix 6 cups of cold water with 1 cup of flour (or sweet rice flour) without any lumps.
7. Cook on low heat while stirring until it reaches "cream soup" consistency.
8. Take it off the heat and leave it for at least 15 min.
9. Add 8 cups of red chili pepper flakes into the flour soup.
10. Leave it for 20 min for vibrant color.
11. Cut green onions into 2-3 inches.
12. Shred 1/2 of radish. (or fine julienne)
13. Wash dropworts in cold water and drain.
14. Wash oysters in cold salt water and rain.
15. Add the following into the mix and mix well. 1 cup of anchovy fish sauce 1 cup of shrimp fish sauce, green onions, dropworts, shredded radish, 8 tablespoons of minced garlic, 4 tablespoons of minced ginger and 2/3 cup of sugar.
Making Cabbage Kimchi (application of seasoning):
16. In a big bowl, place some seasoning mix at the bottom.
17. Place each cabbage quarter on the bed of seasoning and add seasoning mix in between leaves.
18. Embed 1-2 oysters in each layer.
19. Place seasoned cabbages in a container for storage.
20. Leave it out in room temperature for a day or two for proper fermentation, until it has sour taste.
21. If you are not eating them right away, refrigerate immediately. Then, leave it out a day of two before you want to eat.
Making Kkakdugi - Radish Kimchi (application of seasoning)
22. In a big bowl, mix radish cubes and seasoning thoroughly.
23. Place them in a container for storage.
24. Leave it out in room temperature for a day or two for proper fermentation. (until it has sour taste)
25. If you are not eating them right away, refrigerate immediately. Then, leave it out a day of two before you want to eat)
26. Serve Kimchi with a Korean meal or use in Korean dishes as required.
Wear gloves when preparing the kimchi as the chili will make your hands burn.
Oysters are only good if you plan to finish Kimchi within a month. Otherwise, it will give bitter taste.