Creamed Kale and Onions
|Kale||1 1⁄2 Pound, cleaned|
|Small white onions||2 Pound, peeled (about 12)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable liquid/Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. In a pot put kale and salted water (enough to cover half the kale) and until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove the kale and cook the onions in the same water until tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Drain and mix the vegetables together.
4. In a pan mix the flour and shortening and cook for 2-3 minutes at low flame remove and add the milk stirring continuously to avoid any lumps.
5. Bring it back on heat and cook for 5-8 minutes or until thick stirring continuously, adjust the seasonings (salt, pepper, etc) as per taste.
6. Pour over the kale and onions.
7. Serve hot as a side dish with roast or grilled meat.