Red Cabbage and Chestnuts
|Red cabbage head||1 Small, shredded|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Dry vermouth/Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooked chestnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple||1 , thinly sliced|
1) In a pot add in the red cabbage head. Cover the pot with boiling water. Pour in the vermouth. Allow the cabbage to rest in the mixture for about 15 minutes.
2) In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add in the cabbage. Saute till it becomes slightly limp on the outside.
3) Sprinkle flour into the skillet. Give it a good stir.
4) In a large saucepan, mix in chestnuts, water, sugar, vermouth, raisins and apple. Cook the mixture on simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Add the chestnuts mixture into the cabbage. Mix well.
6) Cook till the sauce has thickened fairly. The cabbage may take about 5 minutes to cook.
7) Serve the Red Cabbage And Chestnuts with a few raisins on top, for garnish.
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.3%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 74.4 mg3.1%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 29.6 g
Protein 6 g11.1%
Vitamin A 59.9% Vitamin C 240.8%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 14.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet