Stuffed Cabbage with Rice
|Savoy cabbage||2 Pound (1 Cabbage, 1 Kilogram)|
|Streaky bacon rashers||4 Ounce, chopped (100 Gram)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Lean minced beef||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh thyme||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Dash|
|Beef stock||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Long grain rice||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Canned pimientos||7 Ounce, drained, chopped (1 Can)|
|Sweet corn||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
1) Cut off the cabbage top, trim the stalk end and discard any large outer leaves.
2) Remove the cabbage core with a sharp knife, leaving three leaves thick shell.
3) In the wok, saute the bacon and onion, until the onion is soft but not browned.
4) Then stir in the beef and saute, breaking up the meat, until lightly browned.
5) Season with the salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle in the parsely, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
6) Stuff the meat mixture into the cabbage, pressing down into the cavity.
7) Tie round the outer loose cabbage leaves with a string to secure.
8) In a wok, place the cabbage, pour in the stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 45 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
9) After 25 minutes of cooking time, lightly stir the rice into the stock surrounding the cabbage .
10) Stir in the pimientos and sweet corn 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, adding more stock, if needed.
11) Serve the Stuffed Cabbage with Rice straight from the wok, cutting the cabbage into four wedges.