Chou Rouge Braise Aux Marrons
Head of Red Cabbage - 3 lb/1.5 kg, coarsely shredded
Wine Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Sugar - 2 teaspoons
Salt and Pepper
Oil - 3 tablespoons
Bacon - 1/2 lb/125 g, a piece, diced
Tart Apple - 1, peeled, cored and diced
Bay Leaf - 1
Onion - 1,stuck with a clove
Red Wine - 6 fl oz/175 ml
1. Prepare chestnuts.
2. In a bowl, mix cabbage with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and cover.
3. Allow it to marinate for about 1/2-1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/gas 3.
5. In a casserole, heat half the amount of oil.
6. Add 1/3 part of cabbage and cover with the apple, half the quantity of chestnuts and bacon.
7. Then, add another layer of cabbage. Over that, more chestnuts and bacon.
8. Add a layer of the remaining cabbage on top.
9. Pin a bay leaf to onions and clove add between the layers.
10. Cover with wine and remaining oil.
11. Cover the pan and boil.
12. Further, braise for about an hour in oven, until cabbage and chestnuts become tender.
13. The cabbaage must be firm.
14. In case it is moist, remove the cover during the last 15 minutes of cooking. The moisture wil evaporate leaving behing firm cabbage.
15. Discard onions.
16. Add seasoning to taste.
17. Serve the peppery cabbage dish at once.