Creamed Cabbage With Cheese
|White cabbage||1 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed and finely shredded (winter variety)|
|Bechamel sauce||1⁄2 Pint|
|Mustard powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||2 Ounce|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a pot, cook the cabbage in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
3) Strain well and keep warm.
4) In a saucepan, heat the bÃ©chamel sauce with mustard and seasoning
5) Stir the cabbage and mix well.
6) Take the pan away from the heat and stir in 1 oz. cheese.
7) Place the cabbage in an ovenproof dish.
8) Dredge with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs and mark with the butter.
9) Bake in moderate oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through.
10) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Cool, cover the dish, label and freeze.
11) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
12) If using the frozen cabbage mixture. Reheat in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes and heated through.
13) Serve as mentioned in step 11.