Red Cabbage With Granny Smith Apples
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed through press|
|Red cabbage head||2 Pound, finely shredded (1 Large)|
|Granny smith apples/Tart green apples||2 Medium, quartered, cored and thinly sliced|
|Tarragon wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Use a large nonreactive flameproof casserole, to heat over moderately high heat.
2) Melt the butter and sautÃ© the onion, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
3) Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4) Stir in cabbage and toss well with garlic and onion.
5) Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts slightly, about 3 minutes.
6) Fold in apples, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, salt and pepper.
7) Toss well and continue to cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender, about 8 minutes.
8) In a serving platter, arrange the cabbage and apples. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
This can be made up to 3 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat before serving.